Sunday 8 January 2017

Hello Again


Yesterday I logged back into this blog and couldn't quite believe it when I saw that my last post was in December 2015. I re-read the post, where I talked about how fast paced life had been during 2015. 2016 followed a similar vein and I had a year of purposely 'stepping outside of my comfort zone' and seeing where that took me. It took me to good places: a perfect new house, a promoted post in my day job and some romantic adventures. Throughout 2016 I was also really lucky to take part in a lot of fun book related events, engaging with lots of enthusiastic and passionate teenagers, some of whom took the time to contact me afterwards to tell me I had inspired them to read more and write more. (You can read about these adventures on my author website here).
Every time I leave one of those events I feel a renewed energy and enthusiasm for the power of creativity, but also a sense of guilt as I've been really bad at disciplining myself with my own creativity, of creating enough space to silence my mind. But then I kept telling myself if you want to write something of true depth, with emotion and meaning, isn't it also important to make sure you live a full life? That's what I feel has been important for me the past year or so, as I had been so immersed in my writing and day dreaming for a good couple of years I felt I'd let my 'real life' plod along without much change.

Now that I've thoroughly shaken up my life (in a good way) I feel it's time to get serious again about re-connecting with the creative side of my brain. I have still been working on my new book and I'm happy to say it's over the half way mark now, but I want to be typing THE END really soon.

The past year I've stopped myself from writing anything which isn't the book, because I feel guilty when I use (my very limited) spare time to play around with words in other ways. But after reading over this blog again yesterday I realised how much I've missed using it as a way of expressing myself creatively and documenting anything interesting I see, or using it as a way of expressing thoughts which pop into my head from time to time into something more meaningful. This blog was a fantastic way to keep me connected to the creative part of my brain.

One of my favourite exercises I documented on here was the Small Stones challenge so I'm going to put a notebook in my work bag this evening so that I can start to doing this every day during my commute. I'm going to re-train my brain to edge aside work things and some life things, and make more room for my imagination to take flight.

Watch this space!


7 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Vikki! Good Luck with your writing resolutions this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean - it's been too long! All the best with your own writing goals for 2017

      Delete
  2. Great to see you writing on here again, Vikki, as I love your creativity! Wishing you lots of success in every area of your life this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've missed writing on here so good to be back

      Delete
  3. I love your posts, Vikki, so it's fabulous to see this. You're so creative and always have such inspirational ideas. Wishing you lots of success with writing the second half of your novel and looking forward to hearing more about it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joanna. I've missed keeping up to date with your posts also so I'm determined to stay 'more connected' to blogs and such like this year! Wishing you lots of success with your own writing in 2017

      Delete
  4. GET YOUR BLANK CARD FOR FINANCIAL BREAKTHROUGH (blankatmhacker007@yahoo.com ) or WATSAPP: +1 (620) 307-3174.


    WHEN I GOT MY BLANK ATM CARD FROM CJ BLANK CARD (blankatmhacker007@yahoo.com)EVERYTHING CHANGED FOR ME!!!


    Hello Guys, My Life will never remain the same!!! I’m so happy I got mine from Robert Hernandez. My blank ATM card can withdraw €3000 weekly. I got it from them last week and now I have up to €15,000. The ATM card withdraws money from any automated teller machines worldwide. There’s no name on it, it’s also untraceable. I was directly linked to this organization on the dark web and I’m really happy i got lucky enough to meet them because I’m a 99.9% skeptical when it comes to things like this, but it turns out they work as underground launderers in turkey, mostly ziraat bank and have a 100% policy against scams. The card can be sent to you through DHL in two days if you contact them early via e-mail:blankatmhacker007@yahoo.com or watsapp: +1 (620) 307-3174. or kindly find more on their website Get yours now. I mean right now if you know you’re struggling financially and thank me for eternity. Bye for now. +1 (620) 307-3174.

    ReplyDelete