Monday 24 October 2011

Soundtrack



When I write I like to listen to music. Even if I'm sitting in silence when I write I think I still have some kind of soundtrack playing along with the voices of the characters in my head. I'm also a very visual writer so I can clearly 'see' scene by scene what's happening as the story unfolds. This inevitably then leads me to daydream about the book getting published then made into a film (ah to dream!!) Songs that I listened to started to become the soundtrack of my book; they just seemed to 'fit' certain scenes perfectly as they evoke a certain kind of mood. So here's an insight for you to the 'soundtrack' of the book I finished writing a few months ago:

Catch and Release - The Silversun Pickups
The Royal We - The Silversun Pickups
Julien- Placebo
The Bitter End - Placebo
Empty Room - Arcade Fire
Between Two Lungs - Florence and Machine

I'm sure there's more, but these were the ones I'd written down in my little notebook of book related notes (yes, I am that sad).

Another confession - I've also picked out an actor that I want to play my lead male character but he'd need to dye his hair and wear contacts...and not grow any older because he's already getting too old to play him. So that's clearly never going to happen!

I think it's fun to have these silly little daydreams because it all adds to the enjoyment of the writing experience as far as I'm concerned. And you may be thinking why don't I just give scriptwriting a go but there's something about writing a book which allows you to get into the total inner workings of the characters minds that I don't think a script could ever provide so I'd still choose just to have the book out there if nothing else!

2 comments:

  1. Completely understand your daydreaming - I think it would make a great film! And I want to hear those tracks sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you have a listen on my MP3 player next time I see you!

    ReplyDelete