Monday 12 November 2012

A.Gallery


In a nice continuation from my last 'Getting Creative' post, this Saturday was all about viewing some creativity. One of my friends had tweeted about the new A. Gallery in the Saltmarket area of Glasgow so we went along to check it out. It's located just around the corner from the Tron Theatre...a good excuse to stop at the bar for some lunch on the way. (Also recommend stopping in at Trans-europe cafe for some hot chocolate and fudge cake..best I've tried!!).

A.Gallery is a funky little place - it's fresh and welcoming with an eye catching assortment of unique contemporary art and jewellery (featuring some of the biggest, wackiest rings I've ever seen!) The gallery is run by the chocolate-providing super friendly Jennifer Fergie (whose awesome work is also on display). The image above provides a taster of some of the work you'll find there (see the website here for more details on the exhibiting artists). There's a tempting £99 and under sale in the run up to Christmas.
I'm also intrigued by the sound of the 'lock in' evening event due to take place on the 30th which apparently will feature a Carol singing transvestite...
You should go and visit the gallery and support some talented local artists!

The visit motivated me to continue with my creative ventures. Managed to write 2,000 words of my new book on Sunday and have been preparing lots of cut-out poems and images for my sketchbook project (the sketchbook still hasn't arrived yet from America. Trying not to panic and reminding myself I always work better with an impending deadline...) And on that note I'm off to get busy...

6 comments:

  1. What perfect inspiration, Vikki, for all our creative ventures. It sounds like a brilliant day out.

    I hope your sketchbook arrives soon. It's been a long wait. Like you, I also work better with deadlines and often allow my fearsome alter-ego to insist upon them. I've eased off the competition entries lately, which means I don't have many deadlines other than self-imposed ones!

    Your two-thousand words on Sunday was a fantastic output. I managed 1800 yesterday and that was with builders making a racket in the next room, so I'm aiming for the same today if I don't disappear in a cloud of plaster-dust first!

    Thanks for the lovely post. I wish I were closer to Glasgow and could visit that gorgeous gallery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. That's a big achievement managing to write with the distraction of builders! Hope you managed to have a productive day today.

      Delete
  2. That looks really interesting, Vikki - must have a visit there soon. And the fudge cake sounds good, though I'll give the hot choc a miss. Glad you got so much work done on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd like it. (and the cake!!) Hoping I can keep up the momentum with the book...

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of an iconic sketch book travelling across America on the ultimate road trip!
    I wonder if you can help? Gwen Kirkwood, author of Scottish farming sagas,http://www.gwenkirkwood.blogspot.co.uk/ has invited me to take part in a blog event entitled THE NEXT BIG THING - a series of questions and answers about what’s happening next in my writing life. All you need is a blog and something you're working on to to write about, so mine is scheduled for Tuesday 20th November.
    To promote this, I have to ask five others if they would like to take part and answer some questions on their next big thing they are working on, scheduled for Tuesday 27th. So I wondered if you would be interested? Who knows where it might lead?
    Freda Lightfoot did it last week and you can find her answers on her blog.
    Please let me know if you would like to take part and I can send you the questions and what to do.
    Best Wishes,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean. That sounds interesting so yes, I'll take part! You can email me details at v_gemmell@hotmail.com

      Delete